40 insights to share with the girl who never feels good enough
I admit to being that girl that faked a phone call or text in the school hallway to avoid being noticed or acknowledged. I kept my head down and never called attention to myself. I would ask myself why anyone would want to talk to a girl like me.
I was the weird girl who loved to read. Sure, I was in a dance company, but I was not the best by any means, and that definitely did not make me cool. I had a weird sense of style that no one else seemed to be able to catch on to, so then I was too afraid to wear what I wanted to wear out of fear people would make fun of me.
I never felt popular or good enough. I was my own worst enemy. I played the wicked game of questioning my self-worth everyday in high school. I tore down myself while bolstering up everyone else.
Looking back on those dark, cloudy days of insecurities, I wish so badly I would have had the courage to tell myself these small and powerful reminders.
1. Learn to say the word no.
2. Spend time getting to know what you like and what you don’t like.
3. Owning shiny, new things or the latest fashion clothes will not bring you true joy.
4. You will meet mean girls — they do exist.
5. Hug and kiss your parents more often.
6. High school is not the end of the world or real life.
7. Hair is only hair; curly or straight you look beautiful.
8. Speak up. You have something good to say.
9. Respect yourself and your standards.
10. Set boundaries and stick to them.
11. Show gratitude more often and towards more people.
12. You do not need to go to tanning beds.
13. Cheerleaders are not the designated ‘cool girls.”
14. If you want to wear a dress every day, wear a dress!
15. Instagram comments are worthless and have no value.
16. Your thigh gap does not have to exist.
17. You are capable of anything you set your mind to.
18. You do not have to be the best at what you do.
19. You are loved.
20. Boys do not matter.
21. Your social circle is cool.
22. Wear what you want to wear.
23. Everyone fights with their mom.
24. You do not have to be trendy.
25. You are NOT fat.
26. Finish what you start.
27. Read, and read often.
28. Trust yourself.
30. Ask your mom for advice.
31. Don’t let a crush rule your emotions.
32. This is the only time in your life glitter eyeshadow can be a daily thing.
33. Do not subtweet — it is mean.
34. Dating is going to be awkward.
35. Every time you go out, thank your date.
36. Let the little things go.
37. Have girls night more often!
38. Text your mom.
39. This is the time to mess up. Make mistakes.
40. Wake up and tell yourself you are good enough every day.
Hannah Rose is a story-telling enthusiast that finds joy in sharing insights and human experience. Connecting the world through written verse is a passion that drives her to pursue her journalistic endeavors.