49 simple ways to take care of yourself when you hit your breaking point
One of the worst feelings in the world is waking up and wondering how you’re going to make it through the day. If you’ve ever felt this way, you are not alone. In life, we all face heartbreaking challenges designed to test our strength. Those are the moments that define us.
When you hit your breaking point, and life seems unbearable, don’t give up hope. There is happiness just around the corner. You just have to keep going and believe that somehow, someway it will get better. Relief, healing and answers will come.
Until that day arrives, take care of yourself. Remind yourself each day that you are loved and important. If you’re not sure where to start, here are 51 simple ideas:
- Get off social media for a week. Delete the apps off of your phone.
- Clean your bed sheets, take a shower, and go to bed early.
- All-out cry. Let yourself grieve.
- Take a sick day from work. Relax and recuperate.
- When you get asked to do something you know you don’t have time to do, just be honest, and say no.
- Go somewhere you can be alone and scream. Get out every single negative emotion.
- Mediate for 30 minutes each day. (If not sure how to mediate, read “Meditation for beginners”.)
- Cry to your mom, and let her hold you. There is nothing better than a mother’s touch.
- Take a long, hot bath. Dim the lights and use lavender candles.
- Go out-of-town for the weekend. Escape to somewhere that makes you happy.
- Call a close family member or friend.
- Write in your journal to help process your thoughts. Talk about everything that bothers you and how you’re feeling.
- Go on a date with your husband – just the two of you – to a place that is special to your relationship.
- Set a small, achievable goal for yourself each day. Track your progress.
- Ask for help. You don’t have to do this alone. There are people who love you and want to help you.
- Bake a dozen chocolate chip cookies, cuddle up and watch your favorite movie.
- Spend time doing something you love (art, exercising, shopping, etc.).
- Have your husband play with your hair and massage your head.
- Cut people out of your life who tear you down. You are worth more than that.
- Wake up early and go on a run. Afterwards, stretch and take a hot shower.
- Go somewhere quiet and pray out loud. Let God know everything. He is listening.
- Ask your family to pray for you.
- Purge your house. Get rid of anything you don’t use or want.
- Spend time in the sunlight. If that’s not possible, fill your house with light.
- Look through old pictures and remember happier times.
- Pamper yourself. Get your nails and hair done.
- Attend a yoga class. (You can also find relaxing yoga videos on YouTube.)
- Hire a babysitter for the day, so you can get caught up on your to-do list.
- Put on your favorite song and dance your heart out.
- Remove anything in your life that is adding unnecessary stress.
- Drive up to the mountains, find a peaceful spot, and breathe deeply.
- Educate yourself. Get online and find resources to help you understand and resolve your problems.
- Go on Pinterest and look up inspirational quotes about overcoming.
- Play with a cute puppy. If you don’t have one, then rent one.
- Schedule an appointment with a therapist. There is absolutely no shame in getting the help that you need.
- Drink water. Make sure you’re hydrated.
- Treat yourself to an expensive dessert.
- Surround yourself with the people you love.
- Volunteer to help in your community. Look for opportunities to serve.
- Write down one thing each day that you are grateful for.
- Join a support group. There are other people out there who are going through the same things as you.
- Invite a friend to lunch.
- Make a list of things you want to change in your life, and then come up with an action plan.
- Cut out foods that make you feel gross (chips, anything deep fried, etc.).
- Study the lives of inspirational people who have overcome great adversity. Learn from their examples.
- Print out quotes and pictures that uplift you and hang them around your house.
- Ask your friends to tell you the things they love about you.
- Be kind to yourself. For every negative thing that you say or think about yourself, say 5 kind things.
- If you haven’t been hugged in a while, go find someone to hug.
There is nothing that you can’t overcome. You have the strength within you to do incredible things. Although life may look bleak now, you have a beautiful future ahead. It’s up to you to discover it.
What else would you add? Share your ideas in the comments.